Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Quality Indicators in Action Research


Context of Study
Dana (2009) describes Context of Study as that of providing “complete information about the context in which the research took place,” and including “information about the school, district, teachers, students, content, and curriculum.” A principal-researcher must provide comprehensive details about the context of the study to provide the reader with a complete understanding of the research.
 In my action research, I can utilize this quality indicator to determine if I have considered all aspects and elements of my research to provide my readers with a complete understanding of the context of my research



Wondering(s) and Purpose
In the book Dana states that, “Principal- researchers explain the root of their question(s)/wondering(s) in detail” (Dana, p.180).   The purpose of the action research must be clear, self-reflective, and focused on new material. A researcher should be able articulate where the inquiry originated and how it originated.
From identifying the problem to finalizing the action research I can use this quality indicator to reflect on a day –to-day basis on conducting, writing, and finalizing my action research. This indicator will help me focus on my own personal wonderings and not others.  I believe this indicator will allow me as a principal show others my passion and determination for my topic.

Principal research Design ( Data Collection and Data Analysis)
When conducting action research, data collection, strategy, procedure, timeline, and data analysis are multiple sources that must be incorporated throughout the research. These sources allow for the research to be valid and credible. 
Evaluating the type of data and how it is analyzed will be the guide to my own research study to ensure that I focus on the facts and data driven conclusions. I will create a timeline  stating the data collection and data analysis for my action research project.  This will help my action plan run smoothly and stay on schedule.



Implications for Practice
According to Dana, “Principal-researchers articulate clear, thoughtful statements about what they learned through the process,” and that your statements are supported by data. All relevant readings and experiences related to the learning, as well as personal reflection should be included in the study   
This indicator will serve as my guide in writing my action paper, and a reminder to include relevant experiences not only uses data to support my statements.



The Principal-researcher should provide examples of implications brought about by the action research.  Detailing the changes that have or will take place is critical throughout the action research process.  The changes must all be based on research and outcomes of the action research project.
  As an action researcher, I should state everything I have learned, make changes based on what I have learned from the action research.  The most important thing to take away from this quality indicator is that action research is a process of learning and reflection of questions or wonderings that may come about from my experiences or research.

No comments:

Post a Comment